Cider Recipe: Grilled Cider Melon Drop
Honeydew is sweet, floral and silky – with just a little hint of the muskiness that melons are known for – making it a gorgeous pairing with hard cider. The luscious brightness of honeydew is like a flute solo in a classic rock song (that’s the cider in this analogy) and the vodka (stay with us here) is like the glammed up singer, pulling the whole song together. Try grilling honeydew on a charcoal grill, or a grill pan on the stove, to release its sultry side, with caramelized sugars aplenty. Grilled lime adds more fun smokiness and the cucumber shaken in the cocktail ensures that the concoction stays light and fresh.
Grilled Cider Melon Drop
Makes 1 cocktail
- Honeydew, cut into 1″ cubes
- Vegetable oil, for grilling
- English cucumbers, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- Lime, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup grilled honeydew
- 1/4 cup cubed cucumber
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ounce vodka
- Your favorite hard cider
- Thread honeydew cubes onto skewers and brush with oil. Grill over medium-high heat until grill marks appear, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove honeydew from skewers and set aside the best-looking cubes for garnish. Arrange lime slices over grill and grill 1 minute per side to char. Set aside for garnish.
- To assemble drink, combine grilled honeydew, cucumber, salt and lime juice in cocktail shaker. Muddle to break down honeydew and cucumber. Add ice and shake 30 to 40 seconds until thoroughly chilled.
- Strain honeydew mixture into serving glass and top with hard cider. Thread grilled lime slice and honeydew cube onto cocktail skewer and garnish drink.
Video, photo and recipe by Dish Works.