Cider Recipe: Cider BBQ Sauce
A little bit tangy and a little bit sweet, this barbecue sauce may sound simple, but it packs a punch with complex flavors. Slather it on chicken sandwiches, burgers, wings, ribs, pulled pork and portobello mushrooms for a cider-spiked grilled feast. You can even make it vegan-friendly by substituting olive oil for butter, skipping the Worcestershire and drizzling the sauce on tofu. Let’s get cooking!
Cider BBQ Sauce
Makes about 1.5 cups
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup apricot preserves
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup hard cider
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 habanero chile, minced
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, stirring until the onions soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the apricot preserves, ketchup, hard cider, cider vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and habanero.
- Simmer over low heat until thick and glossy, about 20 minutes.
Recipe and photos by Dish Works.