Even if you’re steadily making your way through your home bar cart, we’ll bet you still have some gin squirreled away in the freezer and a few ounces of Aperol or Campari. If so, you’re all set to make a First Light, this refreshing, bright cider cocktail that comes to us from Meredith Collins of the blog, Along Came a Cider. Meredith, who has put together a number of awesome pairing guides for Cider Culture in the past, has a wonderful affinity for teasing out flavors and textures in craft cider. We love how she’s applied those same skills to this grapefruit-y cocktail. We’ll be mixing one of these up for our Friday happy hour, and maybe even at brunch!
Meredith Collins’ First Light Cider Cocktail
- 3/4 ounce gin
- 3/4 ounce Aperol (or another bitter aperitif, like Campari)
- 2 ounces of fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 dashes grapefruit bitters
- Sparkling hard cider
- Fill a shaker with ice and prep a rocks glass or wine glass with a large ice cube.
- Pour the first four ingredients into the shaker. Shake the gin, Aperol, juice and bitters vigorously.
- Strain these ingredients into your glass, then top with cider. Stir gently to combine.
Ready for a second round? Check out the Whiskey Cider Sour cocktail from Jennie Dorsey next!
- Video and recipe: Meredith Collins