Want to learn a cool new party trick? Make a batch of ginger cider granita. Granita is a fancy-sounding Italian dessert that’s actually the easiest thing in the world to pull together. Essentially, you make a sweetened liquid, and then freeze it, stirring it with a fork every half-hour or so. When it starts to resemble water ice (that’s Italian ice to you non-East Coasters), it’s ready to go!
Of course, we wanted to find a way to incorporate cider into this elegant treat and found that, when combined with spicy fresh ginger and a squeeze of lime, it actually makes the perfect accompaniment for oysters-on-the-half-shell.
Ginger Cider Granita
Ready in: 2 hours (largely unattended)
- 12 ounces hard cider
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Pinch salt
- Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour contents of blender into wide metal or glass dish and place in freezer.
- Every 30 minutes, remove dish and scrape juice with fork. Return to freezer and repeat until juice turns into solid ice crystals.
- Serve in glass or over raw oysters-on-the-half-shell.
- Video, recipe and photo: Dish Works