Sunny afternoons call for cider margaritas! We’re digging this cocktail recipe from Maria at Jack’s Hard Cider (based in Gettysburg, PA). The recipe takes the standard marg equation and kicks it up a few notches with the addition of pickled jalapeño brine. Extra touches, like a chili and salt rim, and pear nectar, make it feel special and a little bit fancy — and the splash of Jack’s Pear Cider adds just the right amount of sweetness and spritz.
Jack’s Pear Cider has a really nice balance of acid and smoothness, and it is made without any added colors, flavors or sugars. You can’t say that about triple sec, and we much prefer the subtle, floral sweetness of pear to a super-sugary liqueur. Pear nectar may feel like a specialty ingredient, but it’s actually pretty easy to find in most grocery stores; we like the Ceres brand. Try making one for yourself, getting creative with ingredients if needed (you can swap OJ for pear nectar in a pinch!), or mix up a whole pitcher for Taco Tuesday or your next at-home happy hour!
Jack’s Pear Jalapeño Cider Margarita
Makes 1 cocktail
- 1.5 ounces tequila
- 1.5 ounces pear nectar
- 1/2 ounce pickled jalapeño brine
- Juice of 2 limes
- Dried chili powder and salt (for garnish)
- Sparkling hard cider
- Fill a shaker with ice and prep a rocks glass or wine glass with a large ice cube.
- Add the first four ingredients into the shaker.
- Swipe the rim of your glass with a wedge of lime, then press gently into the chili powder/salt mixture to create a rim. Fill the glass with ice.
- Shake the cocktail shaker vigorously, and then strain into the glass. Top with Jack’s Pear Cider and garnish with a few slices of pickled jalapeño and a fresh lime wedge.
Ready for a second round? Check out the First Light cocktail from Meredith Collins next!
- Video and recipe: Jack's Hard Cider